I have this odd appreciation for dollar stores. There is something about finding an item that I know I would pay several dollars more for at a local Walmart of Meijer, and paying only a dollar for it! Yes, those are the Dutch genes in me, but I still get geeked every time it happens! Thankfully too, we have the most amazing, practical, and has-everything dollar store, called Keegstras. If you live in West Michigan and you’ve never been, go. And you’re welcome.
Dollar stores can have this stigma of having cheaply made, low-quality items – that aren’t even worth a dollar. I remember when we first were married, we had adopted a soldier overseas. We had contacted him and asked him what he would like in a care package. Many of the items I knew I could get at the dollar store; not that I was trying to go “cheap,” but they were candy items and simple things that I knew could be bought at a dollar store. Each time we sent a package, all we kept hearing was how much he loved them!
I know you can’t find every thing at a dollar store, but you sure can find a lot! Granted there are some things I personally would not buy at a dollar store and there are certain things that actually are not a good deal. But for me, it’s still worth making it a trip.
Well, I decided to make a list of the items that I feel are worth while buying at a local dollar store – items that will save you dollars and the heartache knowing you may have paid too much for an item at another store. And yes, I have bought and continue to buy these items from our local store!
25 Dollar Store Items Worth Buying:
1. Candy – looking to make a dessert with candy? Check out to see what is in stock! Our store has little candy boxes for 15 or 25 cents too – can’t go wrong!
3. Wrapping paper
4. Tissue paper – unbeatable!
5. Party supplies – invites, thank yous, plates, glasses, silverware, etc.
6. Kitchen utensils – believe it or not, they are worth it!
7. Coupon organizers – if you can’t find a cheap one in the store, try the dollar store!
8. Scrubbers – for dishes and cleaning
9. Dust clothes – the micro-fiber clothes are SO worth paying a buck for!
10. Gift bags
11. Toilet bowl cleaner
12. Dish soap
13. Greeting cards – why pay 2 or 3 dollars for something the person is going to throw away? Typically they are 2/$1
14. Tin foil, plastic wrap
15. Food tins (disposable)
16. Picture frames – you can always repurpose them!
17. Food containers and bowls
18. Garbage cans
19. Organizing containers – they have the same-size bins at dollar stores as they do department stores!
20. Coloring books
21. Shaving cream
22. Hair twisties
23. Cotton swabs
24. Seasonal décor and candy
26. Wooden skewers for grilling
27. Colored pencils, markers, crayons, etc.
29. Craft supplies
30. Mailing envelopes
31. Garbage bags
32. Ziplock bags
34. Sunscreen – ours carries Walgreens brand
37. Party balloons
38. Nail polish
39. Puzzle books
40. Toys – we’ve even bought a recorder there!
I have to go into dollar stores with a set amount to spend because otherwise I could go crazy and buy things I don’t need. That’s the kicker, isn’t it? You’re not going to save anything if you end up buying what you don’t need. But this is true for ANY store you go into to – only buy what’s needed and on the list.
What are your favorite dollar store buys?