What: Exercising Outside vs. The Gym
Why: Benefits of exercising outdoors
1. Fresh air – the smell of a sweaty gym vs. the smell of the outdoors. Fresh air can do wonders!
2. Easier to exercise longer – whether you are biking, running, or walking, you may find yourself getting caught up in the scenery and lose track as to how far you have gone. On exercise equipment, it is constantly in your face, telling you how far you HAVEN’T gone yet.
3. Encourages others. Have you ever seen someone run down the street and think “I should do that?” Not that you should exercise for show, but you may be encouraging that person who is watching tv to go take a walk. Also, exercising outdoors is something you can do WITH others. Grab a friend and go!
4. Relieves stress. Fresh air tends to have this effect. Ever wonder why businesses have an eating area outside? Exercising outside can offer that same relaxation and calmness you need after a busy day.
5. Saves Money. Gym memberships can be very expensive. Why not exercise in a free place where you can journey to wherever you would like?
6. Fight germs. No need to rub down the equipment before you use it when you exercise outside. Also, fresh air can help fight off those pesky germs.
7. Increased resistance – ever walk, run, or bike in the wind? There is an added resistance, no matter how breezy it is, when you exercise outside. Yes you can choose the “mountain” setting on the treadmill, but you can also choose a path with more hills while exercising outside.
8. Can exercise whenever. No more waiting for the gym to open. The outdoors is always open!
1. Choose an exercise to do outdoors.
2. Choose a time to do this exercise – some prefer mornings, some prefer nights. Choose the best time that is right for you.
3. Make sure you have the appropriate shoes to prevent injury and also the appropriate clothing for the temperature.
4. Enjoy all the benefits listed above and know that you are keeping your body healthy, while hopefully preventing other diseases and sicknesses, by exercising.
Confession of the Day: I have a treadmill. It was given to us and I will say I do use it in the winters. Though, you will still find me going on walks and runs in the winter, just to get a breath of fresh air. I am not saying that gyms shouldn’t be in existence. I just think they can take away the pleasure of the great outdoors. People may feel guilty for exercising outdoors when they are paying for a membership. It also may depend on where you live – exercising outside may not be an option. Whatever your situation may be, just keep in mind that living with less, may mean getting outside more and buying less equipment. It is a beautiful world out there and all it sometimes takes is a 30 minute walk to enjoy and appreciate it.
Where is your favorite place to exercise?