Our culture has never been filled with so many DIY projects. By all means, I am not saying that DIY projects are a negative thing. In fact, I think the choice to do it yourself brings one back to the “olden” days where sometimes the only option was to do it yourself. Build your own house. Build your own barn. Make your own clothes. Make your own bed out of straw. My how far we have come!
Really in today’s culture though, it is easier to just buy whatever we need, money aside. Anything we need really is at the tip of our fingers. It’s whether or not we choose to buy or DIY that makes the difference.
With all of the ideas and options we have to DIY, that means more things to store, more things to have, which means more clutter.
One of those items that tends to take up a lot of space is fabric. Even if you aren’t a huge DIY-er, fabric may be something that you have on hand from who knows what project. Maybe they are even old flannel shirts or jeans that you save to repair other pieces of clothing. What ever the type of fabric may be, you could probably live with less of it! Here’s how:
1. Find all of the fabric you have. This includes old jeans, shirts, scraps of all kinds.
2. Decide why you have each piece of fabric.
- Do you have a specific project in mind to use it for?
- Why haven’t you used up the fabric yet?
- Can you match it with anything else?
- Would someone else find a better use for it?
5. Time to organize it! There are various ways to organize your fabric:
- Use a shoe storage container – good for fabric scraps (need to be small enough to fit in compartments
- Clear bins – you can see from all sides what is inside – if you have a lot of fabric, here you can store not only by fiber, but by color.
- Fold and just store in a pile.
- Roll the fabric and use pins to hold.
- Hang neatly folded fabric on a furniture ladder or string hung between two boards.
6. Find a project that you have been waiting to make and get started!
Don’t forget to sign up for the giveaway from
Here are the details:
- Giveaway ends Friday, July 1, 2016 at 11:59pm.
- One winner will be chose via Rafflecopter.com
- Open to U.S. residents only and must by 18 years or older
- I will email the winners and each winner has 1 week to confirm.
- Winner will be shipped 3 packages of white clothespins and (1) 5×8 magnetic sheet, free of charge.