Do you have old bananas that are turning brown, mushy, and are not appetizing to even look at? Before you throw them out, consider using them and making banana bread! Or, if you do not have time to make banana bread with the next few days, freeze the old bananas and when you are ready, allow them to thaw for a few hours and then use them in your bread. When they thaw, they will look completely disgusting and mushy, but they are going to be mushed into banana bread anyway!
Here is a simple, yet tasty homemade banana bread recipe:
Banana Bread (Print Recipe)
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 to 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream sugar and margarine and vanilla.
3. Add eggs, mixing well.
4. Combine mashed bananas and sour cream. Add to creamed mixture.
5. Add sifted flour mixture; beat well.
6. Pour batter into greased and floured bread pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 1 loaf.
Note: If you want to add some extra sweetness, add some chocolate chips in the batter before baking.