Over the past few weeks, I have been spending some time talking about pregnancy. This has been a learning experience for myself, being a first-time-pregnant-mom. Trust me, I am FAR from having it altogether. In fact, the reason I share this series, like learning how to let go and where to begin, is everyday I am learning something new and I figure there are many others who walk in the same shoes. I sometimes thought that being pregnant would be a stressful experience and that there would be so much to do and figure out. Really though, pregnancy can be such a beautiful time in life, if you choose to make it that way. That is why I wanted to share with you a few more ideas and things I have learned while on the pregnancy journey.
- Read what is recommended. Again, I think your doctor knows best. Each office may give out a different pregnancy book, but I find the books they give you for free, are worth their weight in gold! I have truly read every single word thus far because almost every question I’ve had was answered in the book. When you think you are not normal, you realize how quickly you are! From itchy skin, to dry mouth, to leg cramps, you realize that those little changes in your body are absolutely normal and there is no reason to panic. Don’t walk through your first pregnancy constantly wondering!
- Something that I find a lot of value in also is looking at the rating when it comes to big ticketed items for a registry. I figure why try to figure out if it is a good product just by looking at a picture on the internet, when there may have been 100s or even 1000s who have reviewed the product? Of course no product is ever perfect (why do you think we have 1000s of items to choose from?) For example, when we were researching cribs, we knew we wanted the 4-in-1 style, but realized there were so many options. We decided that if it had a 4 star and above rating, that it would be quality. I believe the one we ended up going with had close to a 5, and taking those few extra minutes to read a few reviews, is well worth your time! I learned quickly that there were some strollers too that were NOT made for tall people just from reading the reviews, though it obviously would not say that in the description of the item. Why stress over something you do not have to, when the ratings tell you what you need to know!
- Take time to talk about new beginnings. Lets face it – having a child starts a whole new chapter in life. An overwhelming feeling of excitement and maybe some apprehension tied into those feelings, creates a whole new mindframe. Take time to talk with your spouse about what having a child will be like. Your hopes. Your dreams. Dream away! Talk about what will change so that when the changes occur, you aren’t completely shocked. Talking about change (though many try to deny that things will change) is one of the healthiest things you can do as it will be a huge change for all – even baby!
- Take time away. This one may be the hardest one to do, but also the most rewarding. I know that not everyone has the ability to do this, like go on an extended vacation, but even taking time to go out on dates, is important. Not that you won’t ever be able to do this again, but life changes (for the good!) With my husband’s job, to truly take a break, we need to get away. By all means we love what he does, but getting away is something we keep at a very high priority because of the nature of his position. We knew that we would not be able to take another vacation away just us two for a little, so we headed to Florida during the off season, on the cheap, for one last getaway. We spent much of our time talking about what life will be like when the baby comes, but also how we want to keep our priorities straight. Our marriage does come first! Taking time to also go on a little date, is valuable time together. Life will always be pulling you in every direction – that is why it is important to take control of your time because believe it or not, you do have control and this pregnancy can be stress-free!
- Take time to enjoy the moment. Being pregnant, there are many changes that happen within your body – one of them being the growing belly! Okay, maybe as you see the needle on the scale creep up, you may be wondering where all of those pounds are coming from, but when you realize what is happening in your body, it is worth every movement of that needle. Enjoy each subtle kick. Enjoy the times you wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or adjust. Enjoy the little aches that may come along with being pregnant as this too, shall soon pass. My husband and I have waited many years to be able to experience a pregnancy, so all the little details we do not want to let slip by, as they are precious gifts and reminders of what is truly happening within. Even more so, they help you enjoy the little moments that make it all the more stress-free!