Growing up I never really thought I would move out of Borculo because so much of who I am today is because of where I grew up. Little did I know that God would lead me to another location, another town. Since moving to St. Joseph, I have really learned so much about not taking things for granted. We live in the “city” of St. Joseph, even though it is a small beach town, there are many sounds that surround us each day – sounds that I don’t think would be in one place, anywhere else, except St. Joe. Here are just a few reasons why there is never a dull moment in little St. Joe…
1. We live 3 blocks from the hospital so we hear ambulance sirens numerous times a day.
2. The hospital has aeromed – you can about imagine the noise b/c their landing path is sometimes right over our house – yup the pictures shake! Yet it’s always time to say a prayer too.
3. There is a church 2 blocks north, that has a preset bell that dings on the hour. Also on Sundays (and I think on weekends) it plays old-time hymns. Belled hymns are BEAUTIFUL!
4. We hear the horn for the draw bridge that goes up quite frequently for the sail boats in the summer!
5. On a clear day we can hear boats screaming across Lake Michigan.
6. Kids playing in the streets.
7. The southwest michigan orchestra practiced at the ice rink once – gorgeous and free concert!
8. Hearing St. Joseph H.S. drum line practice!
9. Hearing the crowd cheer when St. Joe scores a touchdown – never need to go to the game! (But we still enjoy them)
10. Sometimes we can hear Benton Harbor’s drumline from across the river!!
11. Oh, and of course the dog run is across the street, so when you get great danes in the mix, it gets interesting!
12. Even though there is a $100 fine for loud stereos, it’s amazing what we can hear one block away from us!
I’m sure there are many more sounds that I’m even forgetting about b/c I’m so used to hearing them. But what more could we ask for in such a beautiful city? If you ever want to experience these sounds – you know where to find us 🙂