Our family LOVES their bars. You should see our insane stack of goodies that overtake our kitchen island on vacation at the cottage we rent! I don’t know if we should be proud or ashamed, but that is one thing we spend an entire week munching on and it’s just grand!
I love cookies, but there is something about a bar – they are sometimes easier to make, but take MUCH less time to bake in the end. Often times too, they have a whole mix of flavors that just makes it impossible to stop at one! In our house, it’s all about cutting a bar to your own size instead of the standard uniform size…that’s what I call “portion control” folks!
Anyways, I wanted to share one of my favorite bar recipes that has a few steps, but outside of unwrapping the caramels (just hire your kids to help), it truly is quite simple! They are RICH, so cutting them small won’t do any harm and in the end, they will just last longer! A win-win in my book!
Oatmeal Carmelita Bars
Oatmeal Carmelita Bars (PRINT HERE)
- 1 bag caramels
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ c. softened butter
- 1 ½ c. brown sugar
- ¼ t. baking soda
- 1 t. Salt
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. quick oats
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- Mix caramels and milk in double boiler or microwavable bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, brown sugar, soda, salt, flour, and oatmeal.
- Press ½ of mixture in greased 9×13 pan.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked batter.
- Pour caramel mixture over top.
- Sprinkle remaining batter over all.
- Bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Completely cool and the colder they are the easier they cut.
- Refrigerate approximately 2 hours.
**Don’t forget to sign up for this GIVEAWAY!**
Personal Planner has offered to giveaway ONE (1) gift card to one of my readers so you can buy any planner of your choice! Plus, they ship worldwide!