This may sound like an odd one. And what do I exactly mean by “redeeming desires?” Have you ever thought about what you want redeemed in this world? Have you ever thought about how you can be a part of that redeeming process? God calls us to be instruments in His kingdom. We are called to aid in that redeeming process – to make right what is wrong in this world. Truly nothing can be fully redeemed until Christ’s return, but until then, we get the privilege of being Christ’s ambassadors in HIS kingdom! With that said, I have often thought about what I can’t wait to be redeemed fully. Of course I would obviously say EVERYTHING, but here are 10 things that my heart is yearning for at this moment (in no particular order).
1. Family struggles. I see so much brokenness in families. Divorce, strained relationships, disrespect, conditional love, and so on. It absolutely breaks my heart to see families fall apart. I can’t wait to see relationships restored!
2. Hunger. I saw a commercial the other day for starving children. It is making me cry just typing this. It’s no new news to say that children are dying every minute of starvation in this world. And here I sit with my freezer FULL of food – food falls out of it because it’s so full. I think – what is wrong here? How can I give just a little of my time, money, and resources, to help a child survive?
3. Garbage. I wonder what God’s original ideas were with garbage? Did Adam and Eve ever have “waste?” Does He look down on us and wonder what in the world have we done to His earth? I look at areas in our country and wonder – where is the desire to care for God’s creation? I don’t mean to sound arrogant in this – some are never taught anything about this. But can you imagine what the garden in Genesis 1/2 looked like?
4. Water. CLEAN water. When we were in the Dominican, I realized how “powerful” water can be – it can ruin our systems for awhile if we drink it. Can you imagine a world where we all can drink the same water? Even more, where we all have ACCESS to water? Clean water? Where you don’t have to go to a trench to get a drink of water? Something I take for granted everyday when I turn on my FAUCET, grab a GLASS, and drink clean water.
5. Death. So much suffering occurs because of death. Can you imagine a day when we will live FOREVER with our Creator? Where we don’t have to THINK about death? I think of all those who have lossed loved ones through various ways – for them to never have to feel that pain again. To never be reminded of the tragedy. To wash their hearts and minds of the suffering and pain. Praise GOD for sending His Son to die for us and for raising Him up in 3 days so that WE may have life!
6. Music. As you’ve noticed, I have a huge passion for music. Have you ever thought about what music has done to our society? What/who people are modeling their lives after because of a song they’ve heard? Remember the Abercrombie & Fitch song by LFO (back in the day?) Many wanted to buy A&F clothes. Think about what the musicians wear and what they sing about – do you see any resemblance to what teenagers are after? What their desires are? How often do you hear kids and even adults talk about how awesome a song is when really, it doesn’t line up with what the Bible says AT ALL.
7. War. War in so many ways. I mean this in actual wars and also “wars” between each other. Imagine a world where war is not needed? Imagine a world where there are no “cat fights” or bickering or arguments, or domestic violence. Imagine.
8. Disease. I feel I can’t say much on this subject because I have no idea what it’s like to go through cancer. I have no idea what it’s like to go through life being bound in a wheelchair. I have no idea what it’s like to forget everything. So I say this in knowing that what I am going through is NOTHING compared to what so many are going through. But I do think about a day when there won’t be heart problems – a day when I won’t have to worry about my heart. A day when my heart problem is solved. Think about all the people in your life who are going through a medical issue – imagine a day when NONE of that will be occuring!
9. Understanding and honesty. Imagine a day when there will be complete understanding – there won’t be any backstabbing, any gossip, any confusion – amongst family, friends, coworkers, and other humans! I see how much gossip hurts people. We’ve all experienced a time where there was misunderstanding – whether at a store, with a friend, or who knows what. Imagine what it was like at the tower of Babel! I think back to the DR and how difficult the language barrier was. I think, if only I knew their language! Oh what a day will be when we all speak the same language in praising our heavenly Father!
10. Brokenness. This really fits into all the categories. So much in this world is broken. Physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, you name it. So much in life is tainted with sin. Just look around you. It’s heartbreaking. Does it break your heart? Do you yearn the day that Christ comes again to REDEEM ALL OF CREATION?
What are you doing to be an instrument in God’s kingdom? What are you doing to be a part of that redeeming process? How has God moved your heart into action? Everyday I wake up, it’s by the grace of God – He has given me another day to serve Him. I know I need to take that charge – that charge of LIFE – more seriously, to live it more fully for Him. I don’t want to waste a day that God has given me so freely.