Colorado Space Solutions came up with a very unique way of creating a dream walk-in closet space, that I couldn’t help but share with you. Even if you can’t turn a spare room into a closet, you still might glean from some of the great ideas they to turn your now closet into a more functional space.
If your master bedroom lacks a walk-in closet – while the spare room next door rarely gets any use – it could be time to reassess how you are use the space in your home. With a little design creativity and some help from a custom closet company, you can transform that spare room into your ideal walk-in closet.
Before you jump into your custom walk-in-closet project, you have a few important factors to take into consideration. Think about these things now to increase the chance you’ll be completely satisfied with the end product.
- With a small reach-in closet, the hall light is often enough to illuminate the closet’s contents. However, with a walk-in closet as large as a small bedroom, lighting is clearly an important factor to consider.
- Chances are the spare room already has an overhead light fixture. To make a bold statement, you may want to replace the standard flush-mounted light with a pendant or chandelier.
- Then, think about specialty lighting to really make certain areas of your closet pop. For example, strip lighting on the underside of each shoe shelf illuminates your footwear for an impressive presentation.
- Windows are also a great way to bring natural light in. the best types to install are narrow rectangular windows close to the ceiling. This way, you enjoy natural light without compromising privacy or allowing too much light in so that your clothes fade.
Wall-Mounted vs. Floor-Mounted Closet Systems
- Both of these options provide you with custom walk-in closet storage, but one may work better for your needs than the other.
- A wall-mounted closet system uses a steel rail to attach to wall studs and remain up off the floor. This is a convenient option if you’re looking for a less involved installation. It also makes cleaning the floor easier, since the system hangs above the finished floor. If you opt for a wall-mounted closet system, look for one that comes with a warranty. This way, on the rare chance that any panels break or detach from the wall, you can schedule a repair at no cost.
- A floor-mounted closet system sits directly on the floor and attaches to the wall with brackets to ensure stability. Be aware that installation may require removing base trim in certain areas. Floor-mounted closet systems work best in areas with hard flooring because they may not sit evenly on carpet. This type of system has the structural advantage of sitting on the floor, allowing for deeper shelves and a higher weight capacity. It also offers the high-end look of built-in furniture.
Create Organization Paradise
Wish so much room to spare in your walk-in closet, you have the chance to customize exactly how everything is stored. In addition to essential clothes hanging rods, design your closet to include the following:
- Adjustable Shelves – can easily change with the season or expand as your wardrobe and accessory collection grow.
- Cabinets – allows ability to close cabinet doors over some of your belongings, but also for privacy and to simply make the closet less cluttered.
- Drawers – help keep small items organized and easy to reach. From socks and undergarments to belts and ties.
- Display Shoe Collection – Can bring your cluttered shoe collection into a beautiful display on a shelf. Some shelves have cubbies, some are angled with a toe stop, or a simple regular shelf works too.
Enjoy Your Own Dressing Room
With so much space to work with, you might as well use your custom walk-in closet as a dressing room. You’ll definitely want to add mirrors so you don’t have to leave the closet to see what your outfit looks like. A chair in the corner also gives you a comfortable place to sit down and put on your shoes. You may even find that your walk-in closet is so inviting, you want to spend time in this chair reading and relaxing in the evening.
Are you considering transforming one of your spare rooms into a custom walk-in closet? Colorado Space Solutions can give you a free consultation to help turn your spare room into your dream room!