God is still working wonders!
Today Dan and I headed to Minneapolis for my heart checkup. When we were sitting and waiting for the doctor to come in, I said to Dan “wow, this could be a life-changing appointment.” We have been so busy with Mazy that I didn’t even realize until then, that I could be told I would have to have surgery in the very near future. To me, Mazy has been a gift and a much needed distraction!
Dan and I said that no matter what the results were, that we weren’t going to let it get us down, but to keep pushing forward. In my mind, I was thinking that we were going to be told good news because I have felt so good.
And that is exactly what we were given!
The results of my heart ECHO showed that I do still have moderate/severe leaking of the mitral valve, BUT that my heart size is not as enlarged. It is evident that it was the fluid that has caused my heart to enlarge and my valve to malfunction. Because I have been able to pass most of the fluids, it will now take time to see if my mitral valve will not leak as severely.
The plan is to come back in 6 months for another ECHO to see if the leaking has lessened, to take the diuretic as needed (I have to watch my weight and fluid retention closely), and make sure I watch my symptoms very closely. In a few weeks, I have to call my doctor with an update on how I am feeling and if I am feeling okay, I do not have to go back in until October. All I have to do is just watch my activity level and see if I get more short of breath – if so, I go in.
Here’s the scoop on surgery – we were thankful to hear that I do not need surgery in the near future (as in the next 6 months). My doctor gave us a diagram of what they are looking for and if I hit certain levels, then we need to start looking at repairing or replacing my valve. At this point, if we would like to have another child, my doctor actually would recommend having a child first. Seems backwards, but if I got a replacement valve, the mechanical ones require that you be on a blood thinner (which can cause complications in pregnancy) and a tissue valve (pig’s) typically needs to be replaced every 10-15 years. My surgery would most likely be open heart, but after talking about it with my doctor, I am at peace with that. We do not know what God will do in the next 6 months or what He will call us to regarding kids, but at least we have some direction. We have answers. We have symptoms to look out for.
We were so encouraged today, knowing that my heart is improving slowly, but also that I do not need surgery in the next few weeks. Not in the next few months. And we are going to pray that maybe never! We will find out in 6 months! It is only GOD who could have decreased the enlargement of my heart. It is only GOD who can heal my valve. It is only GOD who has sustained this heart of mine for so many years!
My doctor is VERY optimistic that my valve could return to the condition it was a year ago – when God healed it to the point of leaking only mildly. We are going to also stay optimistic and believe that God can do it again!
It. Is. Only. God.
Thank you for your prayers! We now pray that over the next 6 months, that God would continue to heal this valve!
All praise and glory to God!